Two prayers before reading the Holy Scriptures

Prayer before reading the Holy Gospel
Master, Lover of mankind, make the pure light of Your divine knowledge shine within our hearts and open the eyes of our mind to understand the message of Your Gospel. Implant in us the fear of Your blessed commandments, so that, having trampled down all carnal desires, we may pursue a spiritual way of life, thinking and doing all things that are pleasing to You. For You are the illumination of our souls and bodies, Christ our God, and to You we give glory, together with Your Father who is without beginning, and Your all-holy, good and life-giving Spirit, now and for ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.
Prayer of St. John Chrysostom before reading the Holy Scriptures

O Lord Jesus Christ, open the eyes of my heart, that I may hear Your word and understand and do Your will, for I am a sojourner upon the earth. Hide not Your commandments from me, but open my eyes, so I may perceive the wonders of Your law. Speak unto me the hidden and secret things of Your wisdom. On You do I set my hope, O my God, that You will enlighten my mind and understanding with the light of Your knowledge, not only to cherish those things which are written, but to do them; that in reading the lives and sayings of the saints I may not sin, but that such may serve for my restoration, enlightenment and sanctification, for the salvation of my soul, and the inheritance of life everlasting. For You are the enlightenment of those who lie in darkness, and from You comes every good deed and every gift. Amen.

Sunday 17 March 2013

A note about the readings for Lent

Since today is Forgiveness Sunday I should probably start by asking forgiveness for not having had time to post much the last couple of weeks.

As we now enter Great Lent, we stop reading the New Testament liturgically on weekdays and instead read from the three Old Testament books of Genesis, Proverbs and Isaiah. We do this because Lent is a time of preparation and expectation, which culminates in the celebration of the Lord's saving passion, death and resurrection in Holy Week. The Old Testament is divided into three parts: the Law, the Prophets, and the Writings (the Hebrew name for the Old Testament, Tanakh, is an acronym derived from the first letters of these three: Torah, Naviim, and Khetuvim), and so we read one book from each of these. We read Genesis because it reminds us of man's creation and fall, from which Christ came to save us, and of the promises God made to His people that this salvation would come. We read Isaiah because in this book we see the coming of Christ anticipated more clearly than in any other of the prophetic books, so much so that Isaiah is often referred to as the fifth Evangelist. We read from the Proverbs of Solomon to remind us of the conduct and attitude needed for us to draw near to God.

The readings are rather lengthy, so I'm not sure how much time I'll get to write anything on them, but if and when I do I will probably limit my comments to the readings from Genesis. The English translation of the Septuagint text will be taken from Fr. Ephrem Lash's translation on anastasis.org.uk

Readings from Isaiah are read during the 6th hour (at noon) while Genesis and Proverbs are read in the evening at Vespers.

No comments:

Post a Comment