Two prayers before reading the Holy Scriptures

Prayer before reading the Holy Gospel
Master, Lover of mankind, make the pure light of Your divine knowledge shine within our hearts and open the eyes of our mind to understand the message of Your Gospel. Implant in us the fear of Your blessed commandments, so that, having trampled down all carnal desires, we may pursue a spiritual way of life, thinking and doing all things that are pleasing to You. For You are the illumination of our souls and bodies, Christ our God, and to You we give glory, together with Your Father who is without beginning, and Your all-holy, good and life-giving Spirit, now and for ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.
Prayer of St. John Chrysostom before reading the Holy Scriptures

O Lord Jesus Christ, open the eyes of my heart, that I may hear Your word and understand and do Your will, for I am a sojourner upon the earth. Hide not Your commandments from me, but open my eyes, so I may perceive the wonders of Your law. Speak unto me the hidden and secret things of Your wisdom. On You do I set my hope, O my God, that You will enlighten my mind and understanding with the light of Your knowledge, not only to cherish those things which are written, but to do them; that in reading the lives and sayings of the saints I may not sin, but that such may serve for my restoration, enlightenment and sanctification, for the salvation of my soul, and the inheritance of life everlasting. For You are the enlightenment of those who lie in darkness, and from You comes every good deed and every gift. Amen.

Friday 1 February 2013

About this blog

Master, Lover of mankind, make the pure light of Your divine knowledge shine within our hearts and open the eyes of our mind to understand the message of Your Gospel. Implant in us the fear of Your blessed commandments, so that, having trampled down all carnal desires, we may pursue a spiritual way of life, thinking and doing all things that are pleasing to You. For You are the illumination of our souls and bodies, Christ our God, and to You we give glory, together with Your Father who is without beginning, and Your all-holy, good and life-giving Spirit, now and for ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.
                   - Prayer of the Gospel from the Divine Liturgy
Throughout the year, the lectionary of the Church provides us with daily readings from the New Testament, one from the Gospels and one from Acts or the Epistles, as well as a number of Old Testament readings in connection with certain feasts. While we all hear the Sunday Gospel and Epistle readings at the Divine Liturgy, usually accompanied by a sermon, many do not take the time to read them during the remaining six days of the week, despite their being readily available on a number of websites, iPhone apps, etc. - one does not even have to open the Book and find the page! Despite this, I am sad to say that I more often than not find myself in this category, and when I do keep up with the daily readings I often read without the level of attention that should be afforded the Word of God, forgetting what I read by the end of the day. In an attempt to get more out of the daily readings, I have found writing a very helpful way of forcing myself to really pay attention to and think about what I'm reading. While I doubt time will allow me to do this on a daily basis, I hope to be able to do it a few times a week at least. I will be uploading them on this blog as and when I write them, mainly as a motivator for myself to be consistent, but also in case anyone else might benefit from them, or if anyone would like to add their own thoughts on the readings in the comments section below each post. Please don't hesitate to correct any errors I might make. They will undoubtedly be of varied length, register, and quality, and so I apologise in advance for the less good posts, of which I am certain there will be many.

Post titles follow the headings used in the Apostolos (Epistle Lectionary), or the name of the feast where applicable.

Click here for daily Scripture readings

No comments:

Post a Comment