Two prayers before reading the Holy Scriptures

Prayer before reading the Holy Gospel
Master, Lover of mankind, make the pure light of Your divine knowledge shine within our hearts and open the eyes of our mind to understand the message of Your Gospel. Implant in us the fear of Your blessed commandments, so that, having trampled down all carnal desires, we may pursue a spiritual way of life, thinking and doing all things that are pleasing to You. For You are the illumination of our souls and bodies, Christ our God, and to You we give glory, together with Your Father who is without beginning, and Your all-holy, good and life-giving Spirit, now and for ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.
Prayer of St. John Chrysostom before reading the Holy Scriptures

O Lord Jesus Christ, open the eyes of my heart, that I may hear Your word and understand and do Your will, for I am a sojourner upon the earth. Hide not Your commandments from me, but open my eyes, so I may perceive the wonders of Your law. Speak unto me the hidden and secret things of Your wisdom. On You do I set my hope, O my God, that You will enlighten my mind and understanding with the light of Your knowledge, not only to cherish those things which are written, but to do them; that in reading the lives and sayings of the saints I may not sin, but that such may serve for my restoration, enlightenment and sanctification, for the salvation of my soul, and the inheritance of life everlasting. For You are the enlightenment of those who lie in darkness, and from You comes every good deed and every gift. Amen.

Saturday 2 February 2013

The Presentation of Our Lord and Saviour in the Temple

Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel.
Luke 2:29-32 (ESV) 

I just wanted to share something I heard in today's sermon at church related to the above words of Symeon, part of the Gospel reading of the Feast (Luke 2:22-40) and which we read daily at Vespers. The word here translated 'you are letting depart' is ἀπολύεις (from 'απο' - 'from' and 'λυω' - 'to bind'). At the end of every service, the priests reads the Ἀπόλυσις, often translated 'Dismissal'. We tend to think of the dismissal to mean "the service is over, you may now leave the church", but this is a misunderstanding, or at least very shortsighted. The dismissal, particularly after the Divine Liturgy, is related to the words of Symeon. In the Liturgy we, like Symeon, encounter the living God face to face, an awesome and life-altering experience. For Symeon, who had waited his whole life for this meeting with the Messiah, it signified his apolysis from this temporal life. For us, the apolysis indicates our freedom from the bondage of this world. It is not merely our dismissal from the church building, but a reminder that, having met with Christ in the divine service, we leave freed from the burdens with which we came, and that we return to the world being in it but not of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment